I’ve been reading a book called Parenting the Wholehearted Child by Jeannie Cunnion (excellent book by the way) and she talked about how we know we are loved and accepted when we know who we are in Christ. So that got me thinking about how I have spent so many years not feeling accepted because of my body or thinking that I needed to conform to a certain pattern or image of this world. I have learned that there are more issues if I don’t accept my body where it’s at; like I’m accepting defeat. So I started thinking, what would happen if I knew (really knew) and declared who I am in Christ? Because in Christ I AM accepted!
“Those of us who struggle with food, eating, body image, and weight may spend excessive energy performing for acceptance because we equate our self-concept with our outward appearance. When our reflection in the mirror is less than perfect, we may continue to try to improve ourselves and an abusive pattern of starving or stuffing ourselves may persist” (Hunger Within, Chapter 5: Worth Not Shame).
Heidi Bylsma shared an amazing file with me with many truths about who we are in Christ. Today I sat down, with the printed list, and picked out the ones I felt that were most applicable to me in the moment (of course all of them are). And then I wrote down (with some fun colored pencils) on a sheet of paper. I will keep this paper on my bathroom vanity to read each day and confess. These are truths I can renew my mind with. And I know as I renew my mind, God will transform me (Hebrews 12:1-2). As I declare these truths, I will believe them more and more.
You see, it’s not what I do that makes me who I am. It’s not my outside appearance that makes me special. It’s not how well I perform or go about my work. I am who I am because of who I am in Christ–because of what He has done for me. I am accepted because Christ accepts me.
You and I are accepted by Christ no matter what. This list tells us who you are in Christ. So when you look in the mirror, you can lift that chin up and be confident in the Lord despite what you see or wish you could see. You are His beloved! You are accepted!
“This undeniable, unavoidable longing for a sense of value is a sanctified hunger placed in us by God’s design, but we will never experience inner peace until we face the truth that nothing of this world–our appearance, our past or present performance, possessions, or the opinions of other–can fulfill our longing for security and significance…Our hunger within will persist unsatisfied until we can see ourselves not through the eyes of the world but through the eyes of our loving Lord” (Hunger Within, Chapter 5: Worth Not Shame).
When you know who you are in Christ and you know you can accept your body as is, you will start to relax and be thankful for your body. It’s not quitting or giving up. It’s not saying you will never release another pound. It’s being confident that the Lord loves you and accepts you right where you are at and that He will complete the work He has started in you. I really think this is a vital part of the journey toward freedom in this area of our lives, especially if you have been worshiping the skinny idol.
“When we accept ourselves for what we are, we decrease our hunger for power or the acceptance of others because our self-intimacy reinforces our inner sense of security” (Hunger Within, Chapter 5: Worth Not Shame).
When you know who you are in Christ and this journey becomes about what’s within, you focus on your heart relationship with Christ and not the number on a scale. If you are first starting your journey this may feel hard to imagine or accept because you just want the added weight gone. And I can encourage you that you will release weight in conjunction with the Lord working on your inner man as well. It’s pretty amazing!
Would you like to renew your mind with some truths about who you are in Christ? Here are some truths to get you started:
Who I Am In Christ
- I am God’s child for I am born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God which lives and abides forever 1 Pet. 1:23
- I am forgiven all my sins and washed in the blood Eph. 1:7
- I am a new creature II Cor. 5:17
- I am the temple of the Holy Spirit I Cor. 6:19
- I am delivered from the power of darkness and transformed into God’s kingdom Col. 1:13
- I am redeemed from the curse of the law Gal. 3:13
- I am strong in the Lord Eph.6:10
- I am holy and without blame before Him Eph. 1:4
- I am accepted in Christ Eph. 1:6
- I am blessed Deut. 28:1-14
- I am a saint Rom. 1:7
- I am qualified to share in His inheritance Col. 1:12
- I am the head and not the tail.
- I am above only and not beneath Deut. 28:13
- I am victorious Rev. 21:7
- I am dead to sin Rom.6: 2, 11
- I am elect Col. 3:12
- I am loved with an everlasting love Jer. 31:3
- I am established to the end I Cor. 1:8
- I am set free Jn. 8:31-33
- I am circumcised with the circumcision made without hands Col. 2:11
- I am crucified with Christ Gal. 2:20
- I am alive with Christ Eph. 2:5
- I am raised up with Christ and seated in heavenly places Col. 2:12
- I am His faithful follower Eph. 5:1
- I am the light of the world Matt. 5:14
- I am the salt of the earth Matt. 5:13
- I am called of God II Tim. 1:9
- I am brought near by the blood of Christ Eph. 2:13
- I am more than a conqueror Rom. 8:37
- I am in Christ Jesus by His doing I Cor. 1:30
- I am an ambassador for Christ II Cor. 5:20
- I am beloved of God I Thess. 1:4
- I am the first fruits among His creation James 1:18
- I am born of God and the evil one does not touch me I Jn. 5:18
- I am a king and a priest unto God Rev. 1:6
- I am a joint heir with Christ Rom. 8:17
- I am reconciled to God II Cor. 5:18
- I am overtaken with blessings Deut. 28:2
- I am healed by the wounds of Jesus I Pet. 2:24
- I am in the world as He is in heaven I Jn. 4:17
- I am a fellow citizen with the saints of the household of God Eph. 2:19
- I am sealed with the promise of the Holy Spirit Eph. 1:13
- I am complete in Christ Col. 2:10
- I am the apple of my Father’s eye Ps. 17:8
- I am free from condemnation Rom. 8:1
- I am the righteousness of God through Jesus Christ II Cor. 5:21
- I am chosen I Thess. 1:4
- I am firmly rooted, built up, strengthened in the faith and overflowing with thankfulness Col. 2:7
- I am a disciple of Christ because
- I have love for others Jn. 13:34-35
- I am built on the foundations of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the chief cornerstone Eph. 2:20
- I am a partaker of His divine nature II Pet. 1:4
- I am God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works Eph. 2:10
- I am being changed into His image Phil. 1:6
- I am one in Christ! Hallelujah! Jn. 17:21-23
- I have all my needs met by God according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus Phil. 4:19
- I have the mind of Christ I Cor. 2:16
- I have everlasting life Jn. 6:47
- I have a guaranteed inheritance Eph. 1:14
- I have abundant life Jn. 10:10
- I have overcome the world 1 Jn. 5:4
- I have the peace of God which passes understanding Phil. 4:7
- I have access to the Father by one Spirit Eph. 2:18
- I can do all things through Jesus Christ Phil. 4:13
- I walk in Christ Jesus Col. 2:6
- I press toward the goal for the prize of the high calling of God Phil. 3:14
- I live by the law of the Holy Spirit Rom. 8:2
- I know God’s voice Jn. 10:14
- I show forth His praise I Pet. 2:9
- I always triumph in Christ II Cor. 2:14
P.S. I created a Sound Cloud recording reading these truths. Enjoy![soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/241511184″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]