Have you been tempted to throw in the towel and just say FORGET IT to this entire boundaries/renewing the mind/losing weight/having a healthy relationship with food project?
It is totally normal to feel that way.
This is the 12th and final week of our Renewing the Mind Bible Study and the truth is…it IS hard to stick to your boundaries. If it wasn’t hard to stick to your boundaries, they probably wouldn’t be boundaries. Just think about it for a minute. If you don’t have any temptations to go into a certain store at the mall and spend up your credit card, you don’t need to have a boundary about that store (or the credit card)! If you don’t feel tempted to overeat shrimp scampi, you probably don’t have a boundary to give shrimp scampi a wide berth.
We establish boundaries because we know that we are likely to venture across a line or to welcome outside forces in that would influence us in a way that wouldn’t be best for us.
So, of course it is hard! We are training ourselves which implies that, left to our own devices, we would behave differently than we know we should.
Barb does a great job of exposing a lie that we want to RENEW OUR MINDS ABOUT. That lie is this:
Life should be easy.
Think about it for a minute. Do you have a feeling that you will only follow through if something is fun or easy? If you get tired of working at something, maybe you believe this lie that life should be easy. God never has promised us that life will be easy. In fact, if we read the Scriptures there is much there that speaks to us about being diligent, persevering, hanging in there. If life were meant to be easy, I don’t think these exhortations would be in Scripture!
1. It’s that time again! Evaluate your feeling about 0 to 5 eating. Has God called you to 0 to 5 eating? Are you convinced in your heart he has? If you have written this commitment in your journal previously, review the dates and entries when you were convinced that this was so. How about now? If you are convinced today, add a statement reflecting that conviction and date it with today’s date.
2. Visit Barb’s blog page on “Losing Weight is Hard.” Read her introductory material.
3. Complete the “Life Should Be Easy” bible study on the same page.
1. Looking at yesterday’s bible study, what are some truths that you can add to your truth cards? Take some time to do this and renew your mind with truth!
2. Visit Barb’s blog page again at the same link. Please remember that Barb isn’t a Thin Within participant and don’t be put off by any “dieting” jargon that you see in her material. Complete her “Dieting is Hard” questions.
3. Are there any additional truths that you can add to your cards? If so, take some time to do so now.
1. Visit this page here at this blog. Take some time to read the introductory material and to watch the video on that page.
2. Can you list some situations that you have been in that are similar to what I describe? What upcoming situations might you face this week that fit this description?
3. What are some truths about situations like these that you can possibly renew your mind with?
1. Visit this page again. Complete the “Preventative Eating Questions” on that page. (When asked in the questions about “now”, just insert in your mind a recent experience when you have done this…or if you are currently facing a situation where you are tempted to “preventative eat.”)
2. What are some of the possible solutions that God might want you to consider? Are you willing to use any of his solutions? If not, why not?
3. If you are not willing to use any of God’s solutions right now, please take some time to review your thoughts from Monday, Question #1 where you evaluated your commitment and God’s leading to 0 to 5 eating. Following boundaries IS hard, but if we are unwilling in these moments to do what we can (work!) to do so, when do we really expect to be willing? If we only follow our boundaries when it feels good, how often will we follow them?
1. Visit the Preventative Eating page again and work through the Fear Bible Study.
2. If fear isn’t something that fuels your preventative eating, how about if you evaluate what IS? Then create a bible study to share with us here so we can all benefit! What other emotions might possibly fuel the desire to eat outside of 0 and 5 in anticipation of not being able to get near food?
3. What truths can you add to your truth cards today? Take a few minutes to add two or three.
If you made it through this entire study, then you deserve extra KUDOS! We started strong, but many of us got swept away by the fun, freedom, and busyness of summer! In January, I will likely lead a Thin Within workbook study here at the blog. I will do so with a renewing of the mind focus. Start saving your $$ for the workbook packet (about $50 on Amazon) if you don’t own a set. More information to come later this fall, but for now, just know that I will continue to provide support here at the blog (as I have been) with a study launching the first week in January 2014!
Let’s press in to our Lord and not give up!
Thanks Heidi for doing this amazing study for us. I’ve followed along since the beginning, but haven’t really commented much. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us in January 🙂
Oh, Pam! Thank you for letting me know! Please pray that God will make it clear to me what HIS will is for January! 🙂 I want to be sure to cooperate with him fully! 😀
I wish I could say I have been diligent in this study, but I can’t. I do have all the materials printed and my plan is to do this study again between now and January. Sometimes I want to throw in the towel, but I know I have to keep at it! I have to give this area of my life over to God and honor Him with my eating.
Thank you Heidi for all you do for us! You are appreciated!
Thanks, sara. I appreciate your kind words SO very much. Sometimes, my well seems so dry and encouraging words are as a healing balm from the Lord. Thank you for extending his healing to me today by being encouraging with your words. I, too, am ready for a RECOMMITMENT to godly eating boundaries. You would think I would have this “down” by now! HA!
Heidi Thank you for being here for us all…I have had a lot of Company this summer but am still doing the 0-5. This past week was a hard time..but getting back on the horse now. My guest leave back home Thursday and I got to hit things hard. few pounds up! 🙁 Darn Flesh and Devil!
I’m looking forward to continuing on my journey with God and you all. Blessing and prayers Heidi.
In Christ Love, Jamie
Thank YOU, Jamie!
Heidi – thank you so much for leading through this study this summer. I appreciated your posts every day! When I look back to June, or even back to March when you led the first study that I did, I am amazed at how much I have changed. I have healed from the diet mentality and I see my body differently. My relationship with God has deepened and I am so grateful to you for all of your hard work and your allowing the Holy Spirit to work through you. Life changing!
My pleasure, Carrie! Yes, I am amazed as I see how much you have surrendered to God. Oh, how he delights over you with singing, Carrie! You are a joy to his heart!